She was accompanying my friend Jason on a work outing. She didn't know anyone else. So naturally, she ate crap on a sidewalk. It was cold outside too.
I explained to her that this happens to the coolest of us, but that she should count her blessings that it was around other people so you could laugh together.
I wore these fantastic bell bottom pants to Fashion Place prior to that, over a pair of tall boots with spiky heels. The fabric of the wide leg jeans flopped around as I walked through the mall. And somewhere between lifting from the floor and stepping back onto it - that heel got bitchy on me and tried to stab the flowy jeans.
Tangled up in the sail-like flap of billowing denim, the heel (and the foot attached to it, and the entire leg attached to THAT), were not AVAILABLE at the moment to support my walking-stance BODY as it moved. So my body lurched forward. My foot yanked out of my opposite pant-leg in time to stomp awkwardly onto the ground so I didn't faceplant there in front of the aggressive Dead Sea Salt sales guys.
I teetered to upright position and regained composure. And kept walking. I made my returns and exchanges and stuff, and kindof forgot. Most people don't forget that stuff, but me? It's such a common occurrence that I publicly humiliate myself that those things have a quick shelf-life in my mind.
Then on the way out of Fashion Place Mall, just next to the Nordys entrance (of course), my right foot copped attitude AGAIN. This time, she got into it real good with the left pant leg. She did not disengage in time to step below my falling body and save it. I flew to the ground with impressive force. Bags and purses and chocolate were EVERYWHERE. I even skinned my knee under my pants and it bled.
And again, there was nobody with me to chuckle with. I just had to get up, straight faced. The same face I use when I'm reading road signs, and voting, and scraping my windshield. In other words, I had to behave as if it was normal. Like breathing.
Meems contested that her trip-and-fall was worse because it was uglier. So, the obvious next move would be for her to act it out in a play by play of the ugly contortions she flailed into, as she soared (in slow motion of course) to the ground.
Naturally, this called for pictures.
Enjoy.
But Meems needed to see me in all MY glory. So you get to, too.
In order to make us both feel better, Julie chimed in.
I know I felt better about it all afterward.
13 comments:
Oh my gosh I can't stop laughing!!! I needed this today, thanks! ;) I fell on the ice today right on my BUTT!!! My Mother in law was a witness, and my kids. My little 2 1/2 year old goes, "Are you okay Sweetie?" in her CUTE little girl voice!
Did you actually fall for the sake of the re-enactment?
If not, you guys fake it like no other.
Oh and I hope if you ever met Nick he was funny and nice ; )
Jaime - she is such a little grown up! SO CUTE. I'm glad there were people to help you.
Carissa - we kinda fell...kinda faked. I for one am too clutzy to re-enact without actually biffing it.
Nick left us before I worked for the Bees, so I never did meet him, but I did read about it in the paper and see it on the website. I ache for you and I'm glad to see you still keep him in everything you do. I believe strongly in that.
LMAO!!! Thank goodness your a clumzy goddess... makes it easier on the rest of us... Treo... i love it!!! I just grew up to the palm pre...lmao...
GREAT HAIR!
hahaha this was a hilarious post all around!
I like to think that Nick rubbed off on me too much to ever shake him completely lol
Soooo needed this today. Very emotionally charged day today.:( I actually fell last Friday. You know you're old when the arm you ised to catch youself hurts way bad for the next two days. Gavin had to make his own pb&j because I hurt too bad! You are too funny though! Oh and I'll get your your post which is not what you think, tomorrow. Love you tons!
Love, love, love this! Thanks for the smile!!!
You guys look like you're having too much fun! Thanks for sharing.
I have never commented before, but i've been reading the blog for a year. I've laughed, and i've definitely cried. And tonight, I think I was doing both.
It must be said that as I read this post, I remembered my bruised ego from the horrible biff I had a year ago at Rumbi. I had two friends on both sides of me; one laughing histerically and one who couldn't talk from the horrific site. I supermanned it across the sidewalk.Right before I jumped up they said I did some sort of model/swimsuit ad type of pose with one arm supporting my head, and my legs twisted just to show them off. What the? I don't remember that. All I remember were the faces of the strangers behind me who had front row to the most graceful fall they'd ever seen. Their sympathy was enough to make me cry. And I did. How emberassing.
To top the night off, my "friends" wanted me to still go into Rumbi; the same resteraunt my audience had just gone into to dine. Lame. I put my foot down, and we went to Cafe Rio instead. I don't even like Cafe Rio. That's how much I didn't ever want to see those people again.
Anyway, wow, i'll stop now. Thanks for listening. And thanks for the cry/laugh.
OMG. Seriously, I am dying laughing right now. Haha. I fell a few times on the ice when I was at school and seriously wanted to curl up in the fetal position and die. BUT, I picked myself up off the ground, all while trying not to have a breakdown! Haha. A boy once came to my home when I was 16 to pick me up for my very first date. As you can imagine, I was nervous, but I guess my mom was too because she tripped on the rug and literally fell into my dates arms. Holy awkward batman. We only went out once. haha.
I am totally the person that laughs at other's falls. I am so happy you re-inacted your fall for me. Totally made my day! I needed the laugh
What I love the most about this is how you say that since no one else is there to laugh with, it makes it awkward and you have to pretend it didn't happen. I so totally agree!
A friend of mine said she was in a crowded bar in London and went to scoot back on her stool, but forgot it was a backless barstool and scooted herself right over the edge onto the floor.
I KNOW! BWAAAH HAHA HA HAH HA!!
She was with all these stiff upper lip Brits (I LOVE BRITS, but not their stiff upper lips) and none of them would laugh at her! She said it made it SOOOOOOOOO much worse! She came up laughing but none of them would laugh... it made it horrid.
I was just congratulating myself for not falling last week. Like I thought in my head, "Good job, Katie. You've stayed on your feet really well lately! And there's been tons of ice. You're a rockstar." So what do I do? Spilled something on my floor, slipped on it, did the weird body gyration, slammed into the door jam and then skinned my knee on the floor. Granted that was at home, but I made my dog bark. So yup, I've been rocking the hip bruise all week.
Post a Comment