Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thank You India

When I was getting divorced, I got a lot out of yoga. I liked it because it was something I didn’t do when I was married, it was something I didn’t have to be good at, and it was something that made me feel healthy and peaceful. On days I didn’t feel up for the physical stuff, I could make up for it with the philosophical stuff. I was curious about the place it all came from. I read all about it, but I knew nothing would be as satisfying as simply going there myself.

Jed liked the idea of it too. Particularly the part about his blonde, blue-eyed girlfriend bringing him along, rather than skipping through dangerous countries alone. And also the part about him having a sixth continent logged in his passport. We were talking about it in the car, and he signed over a $400 check from a load vendor, and said “There. We’ve officially started saving for our trip to India together.” I put it in its very own account. Six months later, I used the money to pay for his obituary. India was just one more thing I refused to let his death rob me of. So I’m in Chamba right now, a town in the Himachal Pradesh region of northern India. I’m here, dammit.

I’ve always been nervous about humanitarian trips because they run such a high risk of being Peace Corps wannabes that mock locals and patronize volunteers. Two years ago, I whined on my blog, “people don’t need our help digging holes to crap in.” Nobody needs you to fly halfway around the world to help them sweep a floor. Then, last January, my friend Boomer introduced me to a group that didn’t offend my humanitarian-snob sensibilities. I spent a year preparing with the group. And here I am.

And I triumph personally in saying that. Because it meant five airports, four countries, 24 flight hours, 14 hours in airports, then 2 hours on curbs, then 3 hours in buses, then 10 hours on train, and finally, 6 hours in trucks. And a bunch of crap in between. It took 3 days.

We’re at a hostel in an Indian government hydro-power facility up in the Himalayas, and it has taken four days to negotiate internet here. We still haven’t won, so we get internet connection in a five minute mystery-spurt, once between 6 - 9 AM, another mystery-spurt between 5 and 10 PM. Which we will miss if we’re not watching for it on our laptops the entire time.



 
 
I love these kids.
 
It is taking forever to do this...internet cafes suck. There is someone literally sitting in a chair staring out a window waiting to escort me back into town. So I can't really say as much as I want or upload pix...but I'll try later. There is so much to tell.
 
Sorry this is so spotty.
 
More later...

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Holy crap! India?!? So awesome. Can't wait to hear details.

Kristin Schelin said...

I'm in awe of you! (The good kind of awe) You are a great person and I'm so happy you got to go to India!

Unknown said...

LOVE that picture! Are you undercover for NAT-GEO? The boys eyes are so big, you can almost see you in them. Beautiful.

Stacy Q said...

OOOH! So cool!
Be careful what you drink - Hubby came home from India with a stomach bug that made him miserable for a month. Though I think he thought he was being careful... maybe it's the India version of the gastrointestinal lottery.

Tracie said...

No wonder you've been missing. Congrats on making it there and God bless you for your sweet heart and your service. You boggle my mind.

Marianne & Clayton said...

There is a layover in Michigan on the way home, right? Can't wait to see all the pics posted when you guys are home and rested!

Oh, and p.s., thanks for the title. Made me giggle.