Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quote board: My mom

Me: Is this what motherhood means? Why does everyone say parenthood locks you into all nighters with your crying kids for 18 years? What stops at 18? I’m 30 years old and you’re still walking me through things and listening to me cry.


Mom: Yeah. It’s forever.

Me: It really is. OMG. I mean, you’re 47 and nowhere near finished mothering me. My baby’s going to be 30 someday and weeping to me about life and I’ll be paying for her dinner and taking her to work when her car’s not fixed.

Mom: Well, it’ll be different. I mean, you won’t be 47.


That’s true.

6 comments:

Ms. Hobbs said...

LOL! That is Priceless. Thanks for sharing. :)

MJ said...

It's good you've got a mom like that. That's how my mom is. We've had our ups and downs, but she's my mom, and she's always got my back when it counts.

CC said...

My mother always told me that "kids are terminal...once you have them, you always have them. They never go away." Like children are some sort of flesh-eating virus or super-duty brain cancer. With advice like that, it's no wonder I didn't have my first until I was 2 weeks shy of 35 years old. But, to be fair, she also said having kids was the best thing she ever did. I'd like to think that was because I'm awesome, but it's probably because she worked crappy jobs her whole life and lived in the one-horse town she grew up in...I mean, the bar was set pretty low.

The Spaniard said...

For our sake, for your children's sake and hell; for society's sake I hope that they have hover cars, teleporters and cheap space travel. Then when your daughter is having a rough day you can say; "Hey, it's going to be okay. Let's go visit the 4th moon of Jupiter this weekend...on me"

Marianne & Clayton said...

As an older mom, I've learned it's best to not do the math. You know- trying to figure out how old you'll be when they go to prom, college etc... The answer is never "Gee! That's not so bad!", and besides, math is hard.


P.S. At what appropriate grown up age will I stop finding the phrase "Your Mom" to be hilarious?

Chrystapooh said...

Will you do all that? Yes. And you'll love (almost) every minute of it. Which is not EXACTLY true, because there's a lot of stuff about motherhood that sucks, most of which have to do with lack of sleep and lack of sanity. But it really really really is the very best thing you'll ever do. Once you get a look into her eyes, you'll be hooked, and even on the days when she's driving you up a wall (and make no mistake, there will be A LOT of them), you wouldn't trade her for the world. Motherhood is crazy awesome. You're going to be great at it.

And if it makes you feel any better, I started later than you are starting, so there's that.