Getting pregnant only ever sounded fun because I could pick a baby name. That's pretty much why I did it. Then, I got major name-freeze. It's like the writer's block, but you actually have a human to name FOR THEIR WHOLE LIFE'S IDENTITY, and a ticking countdown to come up with something, or the hospital pretty much won't let you take her with you, and they give her to gypsies and make you waddle home alone in your post-natal diaper thing with no dinner. And that won't do. But it was fine, because just like everything else in my life, I had my shit locked down and figured out.
I turned to my Franklin Covey planner from 2001 where I had compiled my list of favorite baby names. I stared in horror as I realized that pretty much all the names either ended up in the top five of the US census, got used by a close friend or relative, or just got ugly all of a sudden. I was going to have a Jane Doe! There are so many of those! And that's always the name of the decomposing escorts on CSI Vegas! OH, and to make matters worse, when I made The Awesome List of '01, I forgot I wouldn't be having the Christ child and single-handedly naming a baby. I would have to run my ideas by the other parent. Someone else's opinion would have to matter. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I spent my teens and 20's making fun of people's choices for their children's names...especially in Utah. Then as my santa belly started sticking out, people would ask what I wanted to name the little glow worm. I'd tell my ideas and people would make faces, or politely bob their heads. OMG. Karma. Name judgery KARMA. WHY DOESN'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND ME? It made me regret ever wrinkling my nose over any baby name. Ultimately, if you love the person, the name grows on you anyway. I can even get on board with Blue Ivy. After having my baby name ideas gagged on for months, I realized that if it was pretty to someone, then it was pretty. Yes, I now think Blue Ivy is pretty.
I found out I was having a girl, and it made the process a lot easier for whatever reason. I tossed around a few, and ended up falling hard for one in particular. It gets hardly ANY awkward head bobs, and more enthusiastic approvals than any other name I've thrown out. And even if it didn't, I am excited about it and light up when I get to say it. And her dad approves.
It's not a popular name right now. (+10,000,000 points!). It was common in the 20's. It has many potential nicknames - each has a different level of formality, but all are feminine and sweet. The mispronounciation of the name (if you were to read it as spelled) is even beautiful.
It works with her last name. And it works with her middle name - the retro and cheeky "Jean" that I have ached to have the balls to use as her middle name, have learned I TOTALLY have the balls to use as her middle name, and have very deeply come to love.
The name has a history of class. It will help her in life because she also has a mother who say "balls" and "post-natal diapers" on her blog. My brother-in-law told me it was the name of a female scientist that discovered DNA, had the concept stolen by people who later won a Nobel prize for it, and when the world figured it out, it was awarded to her. Not sure if this is a true story. But I like the whole "gracious martyred genius who silently changes the world, while obliterating gender inequality in the intellectual world" idea. TOTALLY my baby.
Another person told me it was the name of an old, classic black & white film actress from the 40s.
Nobody has ever told me it was the name of a stripper...on-stage or off.
My favorite is where it appears in literature. This character was so hot and unattainable, one over-interested, psycho guy said about her "The all-seeing sun ne'er saw her match since first the world begun." She refused to date him, and he ended up becoming obsessed with the next girl he saw at a party (literally), who he killed himself over in like 3 days. So, basically, she's a megababe with her head on straight, and knows how to dodge a bullet.
Of course, that guy's last name was Montague, so I mean, we can't judge everyone by their Shakespearian name...but I still like to think it makes her a little out of everyone's league.
The name appears in all kinds of languages, with all kinds of meanings. It means gentle horse. It means rose. It means red dragon.
And when I go to the store to buy charms or typographic decor with the initial, this letter is one of the LAST to run out. I can always get an "R."
So even if you don't love my baby girl's name, I really really love my baby girl's name.
The Rozzberry. The Rozzmatazz. Her daddy's Rozzie Jean.
My Rosaline.
I turned to my Franklin Covey planner from 2001 where I had compiled my list of favorite baby names. I stared in horror as I realized that pretty much all the names either ended up in the top five of the US census, got used by a close friend or relative, or just got ugly all of a sudden. I was going to have a Jane Doe! There are so many of those! And that's always the name of the decomposing escorts on CSI Vegas! OH, and to make matters worse, when I made The Awesome List of '01, I forgot I wouldn't be having the Christ child and single-handedly naming a baby. I would have to run my ideas by the other parent. Someone else's opinion would have to matter. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I spent my teens and 20's making fun of people's choices for their children's names...especially in Utah. Then as my santa belly started sticking out, people would ask what I wanted to name the little glow worm. I'd tell my ideas and people would make faces, or politely bob their heads. OMG. Karma. Name judgery KARMA. WHY DOESN'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND ME? It made me regret ever wrinkling my nose over any baby name. Ultimately, if you love the person, the name grows on you anyway. I can even get on board with Blue Ivy. After having my baby name ideas gagged on for months, I realized that if it was pretty to someone, then it was pretty. Yes, I now think Blue Ivy is pretty.
I found out I was having a girl, and it made the process a lot easier for whatever reason. I tossed around a few, and ended up falling hard for one in particular. It gets hardly ANY awkward head bobs, and more enthusiastic approvals than any other name I've thrown out. And even if it didn't, I am excited about it and light up when I get to say it. And her dad approves.
It's not a popular name right now. (+10,000,000 points!). It was common in the 20's. It has many potential nicknames - each has a different level of formality, but all are feminine and sweet. The mispronounciation of the name (if you were to read it as spelled) is even beautiful.
It works with her last name. And it works with her middle name - the retro and cheeky "Jean" that I have ached to have the balls to use as her middle name, have learned I TOTALLY have the balls to use as her middle name, and have very deeply come to love.
The name has a history of class. It will help her in life because she also has a mother who say "balls" and "post-natal diapers" on her blog. My brother-in-law told me it was the name of a female scientist that discovered DNA, had the concept stolen by people who later won a Nobel prize for it, and when the world figured it out, it was awarded to her. Not sure if this is a true story. But I like the whole "gracious martyred genius who silently changes the world, while obliterating gender inequality in the intellectual world" idea. TOTALLY my baby.
Another person told me it was the name of an old, classic black & white film actress from the 40s.
Nobody has ever told me it was the name of a stripper...on-stage or off.
My favorite is where it appears in literature. This character was so hot and unattainable, one over-interested, psycho guy said about her "The all-seeing sun ne'er saw her match since first the world begun." She refused to date him, and he ended up becoming obsessed with the next girl he saw at a party (literally), who he killed himself over in like 3 days. So, basically, she's a megababe with her head on straight, and knows how to dodge a bullet.
Of course, that guy's last name was Montague, so I mean, we can't judge everyone by their Shakespearian name...but I still like to think it makes her a little out of everyone's league.
The name appears in all kinds of languages, with all kinds of meanings. It means gentle horse. It means rose. It means red dragon.
And when I go to the store to buy charms or typographic decor with the initial, this letter is one of the LAST to run out. I can always get an "R."
So even if you don't love my baby girl's name, I really really love my baby girl's name.
The Rozzberry. The Rozzmatazz. Her daddy's Rozzie Jean.
My Rosaline.
13 comments:
Her mommy's Rozzie Jean too! and OUR Rosaline.
I can't wait to meet her!
Somewhere in the middle of this post I started to worry that you might not tell us the name. I would have been pissed (I secretly hate baby name secret keepers)! I love it... classy and pretty, yet edgy and badass.
Ooh. I do love that. I was worried after all that prelude, I'd hate it. But I don't! I love love it. Jean gives it spunk. Well done.
The writing: mesmerizing (as always).
The Name: I love what Michelle said, "classy and pretty, yet edgy and badass.". Well said!
Beautiful! Excellent job. She will no doubt live up to it. I'm excited to meet her.
That is a GREAT name, and I'm not just saying that. I wouldn't just say that.
There is nothing worse than picking a top 5 name. When we finally decided on Aidan, it was the top 250th or something like that, and by the time he was born, EVERY SINGLE BOY was named Aidan. But honestly, it was such a fight picking out his name that I didn't even care. Aidan it is. :)
my word verification is inching. You're inching towards the end when you finally get to meet that baby!!! :) (and the closer to the end, the longer it seems to last, lol)
Apparently Rosaline was Romeo's first choice but he "settled" for Juliet.
Look where that got him!
super cute!
Naming a kid is funny business- when we picked Kailyn for our daughter I had NOOOO idea that every other mother on the planet having a girl in 1998-2000 was choosing C or K as the first letter. When she was in achievement days her class consisted of Katie, Kelly, Kamden, Carly, Katie (yes another one), Kayla, Cassidy, Courtney and my Kailyn- seriously NINE girls all with cckckkc. I really believe in collective conscience! Oh and the room is precious!
I love it, such a pretty name. I am so happy for you!
So I've been meaning to ask. Is it Rosaline or RosalINE, Brian! It's RosalINE! I like it both ways.
Pronounced like Rozzlyn.
Love it! Love, love, love it!
I'm pretty sure there's an old-timey song called Sweet Rosaline. My googling has turned nothing up, but I will not be shaken. I can remember my grandma singing it.
So yes, love, love it!
Also, as someone who makes fun of baby names, I too have fear that if I have children I will have baby-name lock. But that has always been one of my primary fears in reproducing.
Post a Comment